Saturday, April 23, 2011

Follow the Mural Work in the Union Underground.

Total Time In: 18 hours
Progress: Not even close to being done


After ten hours of layering white paint, the original neglected mural is officially completely covered to be turned into a hopefully photo-real mural with a touch of surrealism.


The Pristine White Wall

The goal of the project is to create a sense of campus pride. The design is a collage of iconic places on campus, including the union, nature preserve, and umbrella covered benches along the peace quad. 


A Bench, Path, Flower Pots, and Old Wooden Direction Sign in the Making

On 4.20.11 I spent the morning laying out the design in pencil on the wall 
and spilling up a gallon of paint that I dropped [not on the drop cloth].
I am sure you can not see the pencil but I assure you it's there.
 I was not suppose to start painting but I could not help it!

The next scheduled session is this Tuesday 4.25 from 9a.m. until 5pm. 
Please stop by and give your input, to chat, or bring me coffee!



4.26.11





Total Time In: 25 hours
Progress: Visible



Wooden cross way sign, daffodils, bench, sidewalk, 
grass, and umbrella post on left in progress.


Today was 8 hours of straight painting! 
Since I am working with old paint and in a basement this mural is posing 
many new challenges never faced before. The paint is very hard to move 
around and is not as fluid and dries very slow so it is hard to 
work quick and layer paint to get my signature effect. So the project is
 taking much longer than expected. But I would agree with the response of people walking by, it is certainly coming together.

Until next painting session, this weekend
-KP

_______________________________




 05.02.11
Total Time In: 32 hours
Progress: almost half way!

Tuesday was a bizarre day to say the least! To start the day painting, I was welcomed with a nicely engraved blue pen line that ran down the wall. Of course it would not wash off and it takes 3 or 4 coats to cover it! I had a very kind young orthodox Jewish man stop and help paint briefly, as well as was shut down by the university police for not having a painting permit on hand. 


But that does not mean I did not get by with a good 6 hours of painting! So in leau of things, I left a small note to my viewers, which someone already commented on.


So to get to the actual progress, I was able to add the second bench, 
an umbrella, and the clock tower, as well as the clouds and hills in the back. 
The response has been really positive as it is hands down already 
major improvement from what was on the wall pre-me-touching-it.

I would like to make a special thank you to Katie Howard, incoming SA President of Binghamton University, for making this project possible!





05.07.11
Total time in: A Full work week a.k.a 40 hrs
Progress: A bit more than half way

I would like to give a special thank you to my support team Mollie Jo Shapiro
Erik DaFont, Jen and Jeremy. Thank you for your inspiration and input.


Mollie and I painting
 (notice new painting permit posted on the umbrella)

Another full day of excitement! 
It is Spring Fling on campus today and  
of course there was a dysfunction of the day...

A end-of-the-world-like thunder storm displaced hundreds 
of students and of course the best escape was through the underground route. 
Let's just say, I know what people think of the mural.



After about half way through today's session,
 still developing the mountains and water on the left.



After today's session.
Two trees, more grass, sky, and 
mountains are starting to come in. 




05.10.11

Total Time In: 51 hours
Progress: Almost done!

Today's update is mostly going to be pictures of the detail work I have started. The pictures speak for themselves and at this point, words are just a distraction.


Before.


After.
Finally I incorporated the fire alarm! 
Could not decide between a tree house or balloon, treehouse won.


Detailed corner work.
 Painted in this area for 2 hours alone, 
see the rest below.


Worm in apple, books, stairs and door, 
stream, and hanging wooden sign detail.


What the wall looks like in real time.

Thank you for following the mural underground. 
It is almost done, one maybe two more sessions remaining. 
All that is left is a small amount of background layout and then detail, detail, detail!





No comments:

Post a Comment