Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Extensive 6 Mini-Mural Classroom Project: Handicapped Children's Association

June 15th 2011

Today was the perfect day to paint. 
I requested the whole day off weeks ago from my desk job to paint all day. 
It happened that a team of IBMers were volunteering to paint the hallways of the facility. 
I ended up in a lot of pictures and was part of a really neat thing.


Four classrooms, a playground, hallway, and waiting room 
are all getting a special touch this summer!


I have been spending each Saturday and Sunday this month painting!

Here is a following of the first two 
classrooms and progress of the project.



Classroom A: Before


Classroom A: After

The teacher and kids specifically asked me to paint a special symbol 
from a popular story book familiar to the classroom, 
the chikaboom tree. 

It's a story about the alphabet marching up a palm tree, causing it 
to fall over, leaving the alphabet everywhere. I added the monkey and lion, inspired 
from two puzzle pieces I found in the classroom one morning painting, to make it my own.


Classroom B: Before


Classroom B: After

I painted huge green leaves and a little family of birds.

The kids and teacher for this room 
asked for an apple tree, that was it, 
so I had a lot of creative freedom. 




Classroom B: After

Daffodils, bumble bees, and cat tails.


Classroom B: After

A bear catching honey, that is falling from a hive in the tree. 
The sign is also interactive, 
it's a special paint that allows the 
surface to be used as a chalk board. 

I told the kids it is their art board now and to draw on it 
after they asked how they too could be a good artist one day.


Progress: Almost half way!
Total Time In: 25 hours
Time Remaining: 55-65 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment