Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stomping the Woods

Are you getting ready? Ready for what you say. Ready for First Friday at the one, the only QuarterYellowStudios, of course. This week we have the extremely talented Aaron Sheldon joining us and we could not be more excited. A printmaking major, Aaron joins us from BU and has an interesting story to tell. Do you want to know? Good, because here it is.

"I grew up in a small valley, surrounded by forests and wildlife. At the time, I was close with my uncle and members of my family had brought me into a discrete world of the wild hunt. My work isn't about wildlife, it isn't about the act of hunting, but rather my progression through that stage of my life where I transformed from boyhood to man. It was curious, this rite of passage, as women had a clear cut "when you bleed, you're a woman." The men had, traditionally, sanctioned times to pass this rite on, and mine had come at the age of nine. This show is a reflection on myself as a social critique through puberty and a man's rite of passage through hunts. I incorporate printmaking (monotypes) and sculpture to mirror this memory."

If that's not enough to get you Downtown on March 4th, just take a look at some of his work.

long

long

square

So, you getting ready. I thought so.

See you Friday (March 4th, 6pm-9pm)
M.A and K.P

No comments:

Post a Comment